International Cricket Council (ICC) has launched the trophy and scheduled for the 2017 Champions Trophy to be played in England. The event will be played in three different venues with eight teams participating in it.
It was already escalated to the media that ICC is all set to announce the schedule of the Champions Trophy 2017 on 1st June 2016 and today in the presence of ICC CEO Dave Richardson, English captain Eoin Morgan and ECB management, the schedule was announced.
The Oval, Edgbaston and Cardiff will be the three venues where the whole tournament would be played in England.
There are two groups formed for the Champions Trophy. Group A will have Australia, New Zealand, England and Bangladesh while India, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Pakistan are in Group B.
The tournament will kick off on 1st June 2017 with hosts England competing against the Bangladesh. The interesting thing to note is that the World t20 champions West Indies has not made it to the event and hence they will not be seen in action. West Indies could not finish in the top eight teams till the designated time frame by the ICC.
The schedule of the tournament is as follows:
- 1st June – England VS Bangladesh, (The Oval)
- 2nd June – Australia VS New Zealand, (Edgbaston)
- 4th June – Pakistan VS India, (Edgbaston)
- 5th June – Australia VS Bangladesh, (The Oval) (D/N)
- 6th June – England VS New Zealand, (Cardiff)
- 7th June – Pakistan VS South Africa, (Edgbaston), (D/N)
- 8th June – India VS Sri Lanka, (The Oval)
- 9th June – New Zealand VS Bangladesh, (Cardiff)
- 10th June – England VS Australia, (Edgbaston)
- 11th June – India VS South Africa, (The Oval)
- 12th June – Pakistan VS Sri Lanka, (Cardiff)
- 14th June – 1st Semi Final (A1 VS B2), (Cardiff)
- 15th June – 2nd Semi Final (A2 VS B1), (Edgbaston)
- 18th June – Final, (The Oval).