Players who were drafted in for T20 Global League will be compensated, Cricket South Africa announced on Tuesday. The GLT20 was later cancelled. The cricket board made the announcement following negotiations with the South African Cricketers’ Association.
Although figures were not revealed in a statement issued by CSA, it is reliably understood that South African players will be paid 60 percent of their contract amounts, while foreign players will get 50 percent.
The total compensation bill is expected to cost CSA about US$5 million. Payment will be made in three instalments between December 2017 and April 2018.
Acting chief executive Thabang Moroe said the negotiations with the players’ body had been “amicable” and in the best interests of South African cricket.
“The settlement will help bridge the gap between player expectation and the disappointment of having to postpone the league,” Moroe said.
“This was an issue affecting 138 South African and foreign players and we are happy that we have been able to resolve it for all of them,” said Tony Irish, chief executive of SACA.
“The settlement is both fair and responsible and has been well received by the players.”
The circumstances leading to the postponement are the subject of an investigation set up by Cricket South Africa, who remain committed to staging the league in November 2018.